Friday, April 5, 2013

Using a grid to approach color

Here's a project from the advanced color "theory" class (it's really more about color practice at this point). We are using a grid to break an image down so we can approach it square by square, color by color, without getting distracted by the objects in the picture.



First step is to choose a small image and grid it into no more than 10x12. Draw a corresponding grid of one-inch squares on a painting support (I am using large color swatches from Yolo Colorhouse that I picked up at Scrap).


Fill in the squares. If there's a lot happening, make a mix that averages the contents of the square. Some squares, not too many, can be broken down using a straight line.


This one is almost all filled in. I'm leaving it like this.
I made a second example and took it one step further:








All squares blocked in.


Some scraping is necessary so I can change and add color that I left out on the first pass. It's good practice to leave things out. A common beginner error is to want to put in every single visible thing. Editing lets the viewer's brain have more fun seeing more than what's there.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

frasmac said...

Great lesson. Thanks.